Subject: Re: Hardware questions (Offtopic)
To: Adam Fritzler <afritz@iname.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/1998 04:42:59
On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Adam Fritzler wrote:

> One more thing,  I netbooted off another machine.  Everything boots fine,
> but I can't write disklabels to the SCSI hard drives.  When I do a
> 'disklabel -w ...' it just says 'sd0: no disklabel' and stops without
> doing a thing!  Any advise or do I have to use a TK50 tape and edlabel?

Do you know if you are using the kernel with the PIO mode SCSI mods, or
the standard kernel with DMA support?  The SCSI driver's is relatively
broken on the VS3100/M30/M38/M40/M48.  But it seems to work if forced into
Programmed I/O mode.  The transfer rates are an abysmal 30K/sec but it
does work.

The 1.2G and 1.3_ALPHA kernels with the appropriate PIO mods are available
at http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/netboot/

-brian.
---