Subject: Re: VS3100 connection to VT420
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/1998 19:57:12
A hardware guide would definitely help.  There's already a MicroVAX /
VAXstation FAQ but it doesn't provide too much info. A comprehensive
hardware guide would be very useful for not only the NetBSD supporters but
people interesting in VAX/Linux and VMS.  It's a good idea.

Even beyond compiling a list of machines and features of those machines,
I'd always thought that it'd be a good idea to compile a reference of
useful VAX tricks and hacks.  Examples being using 1.2M PC floppy drives
in your MicroVAX II, using phone cords as serial cables, using the
VAXstation 2000 as an MFM disk formatter.  There's all sort of great
knowledge scattered throughout mailing list archives, but there's no
straightforward organized way to find it.

I'd say it's a worthwhile effort.

-brian.

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Hey - there are various resources around the net on vax hardware,
> 	but none of them seem to carry detailed information on each CPU.
>
> 	http://www.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/History/Vaxes.Txt is a good
> 	example - excellent information on what it covers, but more would
> 	be better (exact cpu designation, min/max memory, standard
> 	devices, physical size!, (does it run NetBSD :) etc)
>
> 	Anyone interested in managing such a list? - I'm happy enough to
> 	give it a go if noone else wants it, but its all a question of
> 	time... :)
>
> 		David/absolute
>
>      ( A person is just about as big as the things that make them angry )

---