Subject: Re: VS3100 memory quirk
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/1998 02:09:48
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	The network controller on the VS3100 can only access 16MB of
> 	memory (the first 16MB in the machine). I believe NetBSD maps the
> 	buffers for the card at the top of memory, which obviously causes
> 	problems for machines with more than 16MB.

Argh. This would seem a bit more tricky to deal with.  (I need to remember
to grep the archives prior to opening my keyboard).  Is it that the kernel
by design locates buffers in high memory, or does one have flexibility in
where you locate them?  I guess my question is, does NetBSD have the
facilities to allocate buffers in physical memory where you please?  If
not, how do you get around this problem?

-brian.
---