Subject: Re: ae problems w/Farallon EtherMac
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/13/1998 09:50:29
Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> Colin Wood wrote:
> > Amitai Schlair wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been noticing some error messages popping up every now and then on
> > > the console: "Jan 12 23:33:22 b60735 /netbsd: ae2: warning - receiver
> > > ring buffer overrun"
> > >
> > > Any ideas what this might be? The card in ae2 is a "Farallon EtherMac
> > > II-C, 32KB memory" (from dmesg).
> >
> > Chances are you're receiving data faster than the kernel can handle it.
> > Do you have a lot of traffic on you net?  What kind of machine is it?
>
> Could this be a MI problem? I'm seeing these messages on my MicroVAX II
> running NetBSD/vax 1.2:
>

> qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping 13
> qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping 9

Oh, it can certainly be machine independent.  On a busy Ethernet, a slow
machine might not be able to handle all the packets coming in fast enough
(which is what I believe is happening here).  I wouldn't have a hard time
believing that a MicroVAX II is a slower machine :-)

> Pure coincidence or a government conspiracy? If so, which government?
> The truth is out there... ;-)

Oh, definitely the latter....which one, tho?  I don't know  ;-)

Later.