Subject: Re: Introducing myself to the club
To: Michael Sokolov <mxs46@po.CWRU.Edu>
From: Zoltan Zsido <zsido@westel900.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/12/1998 11:19:54
On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Actually I like the kernel structure and interfaces of Berkeley UNIX(R)
> better than those of NetBSD (especially the classical versus "new"
> config(8)). As far as support for BabyVAXen goes, I have recently
> discovered another possible way to proceed. I have always thought that
> there is no source whatsoever for Ultrix, but I have recently read an
> Ultrix manual that talks about kernel config files and building custom
> kernels. That probably means that there are kernel sources for Ultrix after
> all. I have never seen Ultrix myself, but I should be able to get it if
> necessary. In general it seems to me that Berkeley UNIX(R) and Ultrix
> developed in parallel with a lot of code exchange between the two. The
> device names and config structure seem to be the same in the two. This
> applies to both vax and pmax ports. So Ultrix may very well turn out to be
> an excellent resource. BTW, does anyone know where Ultrix/vax support
> starts? I don't think that it goes all the way back to VAX-11/780.

No usabel kernel sources available for Ultrix, only headers, some C code
for "customisation" and many object files.  Ultix based on Berkeley
UNIX(R) 4.2, with many enhancement from 4.3.  Ultrix developement has been
discontinued in 1995, last release was 4.5, which was a 4.4 with many
bugfixes. The full description of the OS, and supported hardware platforms
can be found at http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/DECinfo/SPD/. SPD
numbers are :26.40.32.txt and 28-22-XX.txt.

ps:
I'v tried to install it via RIS to my VS3200, but it doesn't work for me.
After successfully downloaded the kernel, it hangs up (probably my
firmware is too old KA650 1.2). So now, I'm waiting for NetBSD to support
the netboot via DELQUA, the VCB02's graphics console, and X11. :-)

Zoltan