Subject: Re: Network services setup (cont.)
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@cntw.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/1998 21:21:38
On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Paul Apprich wrote:

Since I don't run NetBSD to often I might be wrong but start looking at
the following...

> 	How do I go about plugging in the physical machine address,
> device name, and other info to get BIOCSETIF to work. Here's what I know:

You need to get the ethernet device configured and running. The physical
address don't need to be set.

> /dev/ne2 ethernet address 0x6000 irq 0x0b
> address as reported in msgbuf: 00:40:95:00:11:63
> ip address in 'hosts' file: 10.3.250.3
> address of VS3100 as reported by SHOW ETHERS: 08:00:2b:25:2f:d8
> IP address assigned to VS3100 in 'hosts' file: 10.3.250.2

ifconfig -a should show if you have configured ne2. It should have a line
ne2: flags=xxxx<...RUNNING..>
       inet 10.3.250.3 ...

If not then you are missing ip configuration on you PC.

You should have a file called /etc/ifconfig.ne2 (or /etc/hosts.ne2
depending of version of netbsd).

it should look something like

inet your-hostname.yourdomain 255.0.0.0 10.255.255.255

(since I don't know what netmask and broadcast you are using I just done
a wild guess).

> I am uncertain as to what other information I need to know in doing a
> makedev for /dev/bpf0 and establishing values for BIOCSETIF.

If you don't have any bpf devices in /dev do the following

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV bpf0 bpf1 bpf2 bpf3 bpf4 bpf5 bpf6 bpf7

> TiA
>
> Paul Apprich - I will get this VAX running. I will escape the Gates of Hell!

If you still has problem give us more information eg the output from
ifconfig -a. Contens of rc.conf, ifconfig.ne2 etc...

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@green.celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)