Subject: RE: cross-compiling
To: 'Tom I Helbekkmo' <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/1998 14:28:43
Jason Thorpe:
> > The point is, your VAX desperately wants to be self-hosting... let
it.

Tom I Helbekkmo:
> Absolutely!  I wouldn't dream of not letting my KA650 do its own work.

Normally I would also agree with this, however my VS2K was unusable with
1.3_ALPHA and unable to compile it's own kernel. Building a 1.3 release
kernel for it on my 486 at least made it a lot more stable even if it
still has the "cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal
4" blues when trying to compile its own kernel. I find the x-compile
tools very helpful for getting out of a jam.

> Oh, and since I'm writing anyway: the biggest box I have is a Q4
> cabinet, which is the one that's about the size of a VAX 750.  It's
> got a PDP-11/83 CPU these days, and runs 2.11BSD (hi, Steven!), but
> had a MicroVAX II in it when I got it (our FAQ-maintainer, Gunnar,
> knows this machine well).

Indeed. It was running VMS at its previous owner and I did all the
hardware and OS servicing on it for years. The day I shut it down for
the last time it had an uptime of almost two years (or was it over two
years, I can't remember). It was replaced by a 3600 (later CPU upgraded
to a 4000 model 200) which is still in service running VMS.

The previous owner (a large corporation) agreed to give it away when
they were told it was going to a retro-computing museum. Which, in a
sense, was very true! ;-)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2