Subject: Re: SGI ethernet device question.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 23:39:53
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	I wouldn't have thought this would be down to ifconfig - rather it
> 	should be via a system call on the interface from within the mop
> 	server. On an SGI it would probably be... (falls back to egrep in
> 	/usr/include)

Ah, I guess I'm too conditioned to Linux.  Their ifconfig provides a
switch for setting an ethernet device into promiscuous mode.  I guess this
is non-standard, but it is sort of a nice feature.

> 	OK, looks like you open /dev/llc2, plug DL_PROMISCON_REQ into
> 	a dl_promiscon_req_t struct, and putmsg() it to the fd... oh,
> 	and then getmsg() and decode the response.... yum.

Excellent.  Of course now I've got to dig up the mopd code I'd modified a
few months ago to get it to compile under IRIX.  Where did I put that?

-brian.
---