Subject: Re: cross-compiling
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 23:30:35
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> The point is, your VAX desperately wants to be self-hosting... let it.

Absolutely!  I wouldn't dream of not letting my KA650 do its own work.
Heck, I don't consider a system like this properly installed until all
the binaries on it are generated by itself...

Incidentally, said KA650 is now behaving just great with 1.3.  I've
totally given up understanding why two 386es and this VAX all get
these intermittent periods of kernel page fault problems -- at
different times, and of different durations, but with no discernible
pattern, although I've thought I could see patterns at times, only to
realize afterwards that I was wrong again.  Weird.

> Ok, enough from me... time to get back to building a serial cable
> for _my_ VAX (which I hope to install 1.3 on soon :-)

Good luck!  ...and if you all will wish me luck, that would be nice:
if I'm lucky, I just might be able to get my KA650-based system a
BA123 cabinet this week -- I've discovered a disused one that I'm
going to ask the owners to let me salvage...  The KA650 is in a bare,
rack-mounted BA23 right now, and both it and my hands have been
wanting a "world box" for ages...  Those things are _nice_!  :-)

Oh, and since I'm writing anyway: the biggest box I have is a Q4
cabinet, which is the one that's about the size of a VAX 750.  It's
got a PDP-11/83 CPU these days, and runs 2.11BSD (hi, Steven!), but
had a MicroVAX II in it when I got it (our FAQ-maintainer, Gunnar,
knows this machine well).  It's got two BA23 cabinets in the middle, a
TS05 tape drive on top, and an RA81 disk drive in the bottom.  To get
this thing home, I had to take it apart sufficiently to be able to
carry it, all by myself, up and down narrow stairs.  This included
things like taking the RA81 drive apart, so that I could carry the HDA
and motor separately, thus lightening the RA81 enclosure sufficiently
to allow me to lift it...  The things we do for fun, huh?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"