Subject: Re: VaxStation 4000 model 60
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 08:48:32
On January 10, Boris Gjenero wrote:
> Well, the uVax-II *is* good at handling heavy process loads.  It really
> slows down "gracefully".  My experence with PCs under heavy load is that
> you get long lag times.  One thing that is certainly helping the
> MicroVAX II is that it has intelligent peripherals so I/O intensive
> operations don't force the CPU to wait and do PIO.  Of course nowdays
> you *can* get pretty good PC peripherals.

  This has been my experience as well.  If you log into a MicroVAX-II,
and you're the only user, pretty much regardless of the OS, it's,
well, slow.  But...if you log into it and you're one of ten users, it
feels just about the same.  That's one of the most amazing things
about those machines.

> but it is my understanding that with the proper cabling adapter even a
> fast-wide drive would work in slow and narrow mode.  So, yes, you may be

  Correct...I've tried that here.  It works fine.

                            -Dave McGuire
                             mcguire@neurotica.com