Subject: Re: Got It (VAX8200)
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 08:35:46
On January 10, Ty Sarna wrote:
> I dunno, is there a point in using some of the VAXes people are running
> NetBSD on, other than "because it's there"? It'd give some of the
> ability to play with NetBSD/vax without having to buy (and feed!) the
> hardware. Or worse for some folks, justifying it to their spouse.

  There are several reasons.  They're good performers (except for the
VERY earliest of VAXen, that is) they're very reliable, and they're
inexpensive (the older ones, anyway).  Many older VAXen are plenty
fast enough to do reasonable things, as many folks around here have
shown.

  If you've got the space, the power, and a non-stifling spouse, why
not dare to run computers your neighbors don't understand?  Soon, I'll
have pictures of my computer room up on my home page.  My neighbors
*hate* me.  S'ok, they suck anyway. :) *chuckle*

                               -Dave McGuire
                                mcguire@neurotica.com