Subject: Re: VaxStation 4000 model 60
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 01:55:24
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Allison J Parent wrote:

> <The MicroVAX II can manage an impressive 628.88 keys/sec running the
> <RC5 v1 client, and the dhrystone number is right around 1400.  Plus you
>
> At 1400 how does that compare to intel processors?

The bit you've quoted me on is meant to be somewhat sarcastic. Actually,
the 1400 number should be corrected.  Recompiling with -O2 gave me 2262.

For comparison, my modest if not outright obsolete P75 runs the same
benchmark at 142857, so it's about 60 times faster.  A 386DX/40 was right
around 22000, and a 68040/25 NeXT is at 29411.  But benchmarks are very
much open to interpretation, unless of course this difference is by say a
factor of 60 :-)  Even a 386DX/16 would likely fair well against a
MicroVAX II with the dhrystone benchmark. But I've a feeling that floating
point ops would be a strong point for the MicroVAX II, and my gut also
tells me that it will handle heavy process loads better.

I used to have a copy of Livermore loops laying around.  I wonder how that
would do on the various VAXen?  Hmmmm... <dig dig rummage dig>.

-brian.
---