Subject: Re: VaxStation 4000 model 60
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 00:05:30
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> your mass storage devices (which are all SCSI). If you are adventurous and
> prefer Winchesters to hard drives, you may want to look for a Q-bus system
> instead. But in this case beware of MicroVAX IIs! They are far more
> abundant than other Q-bus systems and slow as hell (0.9 VUPs). Even

Hey, don't bad-mouth the MicroVAX II.  It's a great little system, and in
a contest of physical might it would certainly beat even the most
impressive Pentium Pro server.  The incompetent UPS guy dropped mine a
full four feet onto the cold and unfriendly concrete.  Really it could've
been a scene from a movie:  I came flying across the shipping dept as I
first sensed the lone UPS delivery man beginning to go wobbly under the
weight of the MicroVAX II.  I remember that horrible moment quite
vividly as I mentally replay it now in slow motion.  Alas, I was too late
to save the system from its fateful redezvous with the concrete.
Still, even given this jarring event, the machine runs just fine.

And even if speedwise it is the retarded little brother of the 11/780.
The MicroVAX II can manage an impressive 628.88 keys/sec running the
RC5 v1 client, and the dhrystone number is right around 1400.  Plus you
can tell your friends that it's your very own Star Wars power droid.

When choosing a computer you must take all things into consideration such
as character, charisma, armor class, and wisdom.  Sure Intel Pentium,
PowerPC, and Alpha systems are computationally fast these days, BUT HOW
MANY HIT POINTS DO THEY HAVE!

-brian.
---