Subject: Re: The new kernel dated from 28 oct.
To: None <manyk@fosila.cs.pub.ro>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1997 18:44:59
> I've just got the new compiled version of kernel (netbsd) from
> vaxport directory and i ran it.  [...]  But I've got a lots of
> strange messages after it was loaded (this messages was not shown in
> previous compiled kernel downloaded from vaxport directory).  This is
> the first problem I need an answer of.

What's the problem?  This sounds as though the boot messages are just
different from what you're used to seeing; I don't see why this is a
problem.  (When seeing strange messages and reporting it as a problem,
it is critical to quote the messages in question; without that, there's
very little anyone can do.)

> The second problem appeared after the system was up (and running
> fine): only the superuser could use symbolic links as this one
> "/var -> /usr/var" with next permissions on /var: lrwx------.

Yeah, symlinks finally have real permissions.  A link with mode 700 is
not usable except by its owner (and root, if different).  The new
system has lchmod(2) to change the mode of a symlink, and the -h option
to chmod(1) to use it.  Admittedly, this is a problem during an upgrade
when using a new kernel with an old filesystem.  As a workaround, you
can (as root, under the new kernel) remove the symlink, make certain
your umask is 000, and recreate the link with ln -s.

> In the meantime i have system's sources downloaded from
> NetBSD-current directory and I'd like to know how to compile the
> kernel and fix that problems generated by ps,w etc.

Same as always: cd to /sys/arch/vax/conf, choose a config file (or
create a new one), "config CONFIGFILE" (for a suitable value of
CONFIGFILE), "cd ../compile/CONFIGFILE", "make depend && make".

Or so I would assume; that's how it's worked on the ports I've built my
own kernels for.  I'm sure someone on port-vax will correct me if the
VAX port is unusual in some way.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca