Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1997 17:46:09
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, John Wilson wrote:

> >From: Dave.Clarke@swi055.ericsson.se (David Clarke)
>
> >Don't forget the ra70 needs the front panel from your 3600 to select the port,
> > write protect, etc.
> >

> >> the ra70 is just a dsa drive, so it plugs into any uda50 whether it be
> >> in your 3600 or in your 750.
>
> FWIW I had no trouble installing RSTS on a bare RA70 drive plugged into the
> UDA50 on my 11/44.  Well there was one problem, keeping the heavy red cable
> from popping out under its own weight, but otherwise it worked fine, I've
> never even seen an RA7x front panel so maybe I was lucky that the drive was
> already configured right.

RA70s have a switch block, on which you set the unit number unless you
have a front panel. Any other RA7x drive needs a proper front panel, or
the unit number is zero.

You can put RA7x drives in a box the same size as an RA9x drive, which
comes with a front panel for four drives (which is the number you can fit
in the box).

	Johnny