Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Brian Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 19:11:33
On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Jacob Suter wrote:

> > But Allison says the 11/730 can be net booted too. Would it be possible to
> > net boot this VMS 6.1 CDROM off a PC running Linux? I know other people are
> > using MOP to boot other OS's off their Linux machines. (Please forgive me if
> > this was a silly question. I know _nothing_ about MOP.)
>
> Nope, can't be done as far as I can tell, since VMS CDs aren't anything
> near being ISO9660-like, else one of these VS3100's would be running the
> OpenVMS 7.1 I have sitting here still shrinkwrapped...  (I need to find
> a proper 512 byte/sector cdrom drive so I have been told)

The VAX/Linux group has put together a loadable module which supports
reading VMS filesystems.  Something like that might be enough to
netboot/install VMS using a Linux bootserver.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --