Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 14:30:23
>Relative performance:
>
>A 730 is about .3 VUP
>  750          .6
>  780          1     the gold standard
[...]
>Moral if anything is newer it's faster.

Clearly true in general, but I thought the VAX-11/7xx series was released in
reverse order?  It sure seemed strange...  Somewhere I have DEC's claims about
KD32 vs. 11/730 performance, I kinda thought the 730 was the winner for
all-time slowest VAX, but of course since it can support a whopping 5 MB of
memory it beats out the KD32 in that department.

Anyway re porting NetBSD to the 730, I thought the problem was I/O not the
CPU itself.  There's certainly no such thing as an RH730, and I thought
the Unibus was accessed differently?  I wouldn't mind seeing this happen,
I've had an 11/730 on ice for a while and it would be fun to bring it back
to life, but I don't know enough about the 730 hardware or NetBSD to do it
myself.  As I believe Ragge has pointed out though, the 730 was always
supported by 4BSD so the 4.4 Lite CD might have some of the key pieces.

John Wilson
D Bit