Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 09:30:24
>From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
>>A 730 cannot boot from directly from ethernet, but if the program
>>loaded from the TU50 contains code to load a kernel via the network
>>then it will work. But first, you must have a TU58 tape.
>
>I was always told that about the 11/750 as well.  However, we got one that
>was being discarded by the chem department when I was an undergrad.  We
>plugged it in, turned it on, and it happily booted VMS from its disk.

The 750 is very different from the 730 in this regard.  I mean, the 750
actually *has* microcode when it first wakes up!  The 730 doesn't even
have disk boot ROMs, to boot from an RA81 you need to load the boot block
from the TU58 (after about 15 minutes of loading microcode), and *it* does
the booting.  But this means that theoretically it can boot from any device
that you write a boot program for right?  So it's not impossible, it's just
a matter of lots of hard work...  :-)

John Wilson
D Bit