Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 08:24:25
>How to boot such a beast? The only way is to boot from the TU58 tapes.
>A 730 cannot boot from directly from ethernet, but if the program
>loaded from the TU50 contains code to load a kernel via the network
>then it will work. But first, you must have a TU58 tape.

I was always told that about the 11/750 as well.  However, we got one that
was being discarded by the chem department when I was an undergrad.  We
plugged it in, turned it on, and it happily booted VMS from its disk.  Is
it possible that we could some up with some way of installing a net boot
loader on the disk from within an existing VMS install (knowing that you'd
only have *one* chance to get it right, of course)?  This might help the
folks who have older hardware by getting them past one of the biggest
barriers to getting NetBSD installed on such hardware.  Remember, some
people here are playing with machines that are nearly as old as they are. :)

On a side note, I've finally managed to track down an RD54 to replace my
RD53 in my GPX2, so I should have it online and running pretty soon.  Yay!

- Tom