Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Neal Rigney <neal@pernet.net>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 11:26:42

> Hear, hear!  I've got an 11/730 sitting in my garage waiting for a boot
> tape or BSD to bring it to life.  If someone can point me to information
> about how to go about playing with it, I'd be grateful.

Here's some info about 11/730:
NetBSD does currently _not_ support 730, and it's no idea to try to
boot it either; it won't work. _But_: It would be rather easy to add
730 CPU support to NetBSD; if I had a 730 i could probably do that in
a couple of hours.
Besides the CPU support it also needs some disks. If the 730 is equipped
with RL02 - forget it. There are no RL02 device drivers in NetBSD and
it wouldn't be an good ides to try to install on a disk which is so
small that it cannot even hold the root filesystem :-) If the 730 is
equipped with a R80 disk, a device driver needs to be written for this.
If it is equipped with an UDA50 - feel lucky, it will work directly.
How to boot such a beast? The only way is to boot from the TU58 tapes.
A 730 cannot boot from directly from ethernet, but if the program
loaded from the TU50 contains code to load a kernel via the network
then it will work. But first, you must have a TU58 tape.

Now I'll go back to my 11/785 that is trying to compile 1.3Alpha
right now :-)

-- Ragge