Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Nevyn <snowcrash@usa.net>
From: James E. Carpenter <jimc@zach1.tiac.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 02:04:46
> >However you could probably get an OpenVMS hobbyist license without too
> >much trouble. But you still have to get the media. You can get OVMS 6.2 on
> >CDROM but that won't do you much good. (Is there anyway to net boot an
> >11/730???)
>
> I noticed that the OVMS 6.2 supported the 11/730.  But I am clueless as to
> who to contact to see about obtaining it???  Is it still available from DEC?
> What exactly is a hobbyist license?  I would imagine there is a way to load
> it if it supports the 11/730, otherwise it would seem silly to distribute it.
> Course, somethings companies do totally amaze me... but enough about
> Microsoft ;)  Could it maybe be loaded of an NFS partition?

Actually, OVMS & SEVMS 7.0 (and I think 7.1) still support the 11/730! I
can't get the SPD right now but it's possible the most recent version of
VMS, 7.2 (right?), may still support it. However, the 6.2 SPD said that 6.2
was _planned_ to be the last supported version for it. It wasn't but it
sounds like the time is coming. But not being supported doesn't mean you
still can't run it.

But the CDROM media I was talking about (it's actually 6.1) is the one from
DECUS, intended for hobbyist. For now, it's the only media they're offering.
But you could probably get it converted to TK50 or 9-track magtape by
someone else.

BTW, you can get more info about this CDROM and the hobbyist license from
http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist

You are apparently getting a 9-track tape drive so you shouldn't have any
problem installing the OS. It's possible you'll get VMS tapes with it. Hell,
VMS will probably already be installed and be ready to boot.

But Allison says the 11/730 can be net booted too. Would it be possible to
net boot this VMS 6.1 CDROM off a PC running Linux? I know other people are
using MOP to boot other OS's off their Linux machines. (Please forgive me if
this was a silly question. I know _nothing_ about MOP.)

- Jim

--
James E. Carpenter                               E-Mail: jimc@zach1.tiac.net
6 Munroe Drive