Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Nevyn <snowcrash@usa.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1997 23:53:40
On October 28, you wrote:
> That gives me a pretty dim veiw of the performance of the 11/730. How
> easy/cheap is it to pick up an 11/750 or 11/780.  How about something faster?
> How much of the components are interchangable?  Do the drives and all have
> to be scrapped?

  Some of the components are interchangeable...But bear in mind that
the 11/750 processor cabinet is the size of a washing machine, and an
11/780 is *large*...like 5 feet tall, 5 feet wide, 3 feet deep.

> >I would think if Netbsd runs on a 750, a 730 should fly well too.
>
> That is what I was hoping, though I have received several replies that were
> either flat out knows or skeptical.  But, I am more than willing to give it
> a whirl.  If I can get some instructions for morons ;) I'd be happy to try
> it and post the results.

  NetBSD/vax does *not* support the 11/730.  Period.  The 11/750 cpu
is very, very different from the '730.  There may, however, be support
for the '730 in the future.

                            -Dave McGuire
                             mcguire@neurotica.com