Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Nevyn <snowcrash@usa.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1997 22:48:06
>You kidding?  They sold loads of them as they were small and cheap and
>would run the same stuff that it's bigger brothers could.  It's not fast
>by VAX standards but as a netbooter, firewall, or router they were common
>long after they to were considered slow for other uses.  Why? they were
>small, and ran forever with little attention.  Or as sone cutomer put it,
>cheap to keep and small enough for trivial tasks.

Well, I was speaking more in terms on current popularity.  And keep in
mind,  I freely admit have little knowledge in the area, so be patient with
me :)

>Dec has made versions 5.x->6.1 available via CDrom for a trivial fee and the
>license is available to all decus members for free(just sign up it's free).

Now that's a great peice of info, I'll check it out.

>A 730 can boot via the eithernet using DEC mop protocal.  I believe serial
>DDCMP lines are supported as well.

OK, that sounds good, but is greek to me.  Where can I get the procedures
to accomplish this?  Is it covered in a FAQ?  Possibly described on
netbsd.org?

>A 730 is slow but generally compact as older vaxen go and like most vaxen
>from the 780 on it's sorta like the 386sx/16 as compared to the P6, they
>will both run the same stuff at differing speeds

That gives me a pretty dim veiw of the performance of the 11/730. How
easy/cheap is it to pick up an 11/750 or 11/780.  How about something faster?
How much of the components are interchangable?  Do the drives and all have
to be scrapped?

>I would think if Netbsd runs on a 750, a 730 should fly well too.

That is what I was hoping, though I have received several replies that were
either flat out knows or skeptical.  But, I am more than willing to give it
a whirl.  If I can get some instructions for morons ;) I'd be happy to try
it and post the results.

	Daniel Daley - Trying hard not to be an annoyance.