Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Nevyn <jimc@zach1.tiac.net (James E. Carpenter), angry-psycho@usa.net>
From: Nevyn <snowcrash@usa.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1997 21:58:54
>It's not too easy. You need licenses for them so you really can't put them
>up on an anonymous FTP site. :-( If you want Ultrix (hey, it's better than
>nothing) or 4.3BSD-Reno then your only chance is to make friends with
>somebody. (Does anybody want to make friends with me??? I got kewl 2BSD
>WaR3Z DuD3Z. :-)

Well, I would hope someone out there could help me out. :)  Actually, I
haven't picked the VAX up yet.  It is in Hot Springs, Ark and I am in
Houston, TX.  So it will be interesting to see what software I get with it.
 It was until a few weeks ago doing all the water billing for Hot Springs,
then my dad
bought it at an auction for $285.  All I know so far is the model (11/730) and
that it has a drive cabinet, tape drive, 2 line printers, 30 terminals, all
the cabling and a bunch of software.  So... who knows what I have
currently? :)

>However you could probably get an OpenVMS hobbyist license without too
>much trouble. But you still have to get the media. You can get OVMS 6.2 on
>CDROM but that won't do you much good. (Is there anyway to net boot an
>11/730???)

I noticed that the OVMS 6.2 supported the 11/730.  But I am clueless as to
who to contact to see about obtaining it???  Is it still available from DEC?
What exactly is a hobbyist license?  I would imagine there is a way to load
it if it supports the 11/730, otherwise it would seem silly to distribute it.
Course, somethings companies do totally amaze me... but enough about
Microsoft ;)  Could it maybe be loaded of an NFS partition?

	Daniel Daley - Just a lowly CNE :)