Subject: Re: PIO fixed kernel
To: None <jsuter@intrastar.net>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/1997 00:13:20
>From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
>
>(not like I am complaining or anything), and am wondering if the PIO is
>just a "temporary work around" or is there something potentially better
>out there?

The PIO kludge is exactly that -- a kludge.  I came up with it while
trying to get the disks in one of my 3100's to work.  It is only a
temporary hack until the SCSI drivers fully support the machine.

>with.  And on that note I was wondering if there was any known problem
>moving one console cable between multiple vaxes (like yanking it out of

I did this for a while with two 3100's and was fairly lucky with it.
The 3100's will halt if a break condition is detected and the serial
console is enabled.  Pulling out the cable while live could possibly
cause a break to be detected if you get unlucky.  If you have the
"exposed" console switches, you may want to try flipping the switch
off before pulling the cable, then flipping the switch on on the other
machine after connection.  Just an idea, I never tried it... I just
pulled the cable and hoped, and never got nailed.