Subject: Miniroot?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/15/1997 00:53:50
Well I see mention of a 'miniroot' that is supposed to have edlabel and
all the other goodies to get a partition going on a vax... Well, I don't
have edlabel but I got disklabel and its about as user friendly as a
grizzly bear...

I'd love to get these two Conner CP-3100's (they are detected without
error problem by NetBSD on boot...

Also I've got a LOT of problems trying to compile ANYTHING...   It wants
*.h files that are in /usr/include/* but it doesn't seem to detect.  I
just figure its because I am running 100% under NFS, but...

I've also got an occasional problem (once while playing
/usr/games/tetris while the console was running systat) with "le0 device
timeouts"...  just had it happen twice... is this a known problem with
the Lance driver or do I need to check&replace my
cables/terminators/etc?  I wouldn't be suprised if its the cable, I just
didn't want to go nuts if this was a known problem...

BTW - I'm SERIOUSLY considering writing an appendage to Brian Chase's VS
boot document about setting up the rest of the thing, once I figure out
how...  I get to do it on four machines from scratch so...

Also, has anyone REALLY stressed the NetBSD/VAX on VS3100's very hard?
I've pondered starting a "segment" of an ISP off Intrastar's (I am 1/3
owner and sysadmin of intrastar) main network and see how well the vaxes
handle 24x7 moderate usage...

So, I'm probably annoying the heck out of all of you with my lemur
beginner questions, but I promise I'm trying to get to be less of a
lemur daily, this is just a WHOLE new world for me and so far its been
really educational and fun...

Thanks ya'll,
Jacob Suter