Subject: RE: Vax up and running!
To: Paul Evans <paule@martex.gen.oh.us>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/14/1997 04:21:12
On October 14, you wrote:
> I think the 0.9 VUPS figure came from the Vaxstation 2000

  Primarily the MicroVAX-II...Both it and the '2000 use a 78032 chip
at 20MHz.

> Speaking of PDP's is there any work on porting NetBSD to them? (probably not the 11/23, but maybe an 11/73 ?)
>
> If I had a working set of PDP11 hardware I'd give it a crack. (providing gcc does in fact still generate pdp code)
>
> (you can run V5 UNIX on a pdp w/o a pdp- there's  a pdp11 simulator and OS dists (V5-V7 UNIX, and RT-11) on gatekeeper.dec.com)
>
> I have seen references to Linux/pdp11  (Is that one step forward and two back? Or maybe just full circle?)

  I don't think it's practical...The pdp11 is a 16-bit processor with
(on higher-end models) 22 bits of addressing, 6 of which are from the
MMU...that means, at most, 4mb of physical RAM, and 64k code 64k data
spaces per process...try fitting emacs or X into that. :-/

  Now don't get me wrong...I *love* the pdp11...I just don't think
it's practical.

  I have 2.10BSD Unix on tape somewhere...I've never run it, but I've
heard it's most of 4.3BSD backported to the '11, including TCP/IP.

                           -Dave McGuire
                            mcguire@neurotica.com