Subject: Re: Vax up and running!
From: Brian Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/13/1997 15:10:50
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > "Check out my wickedly complex Ultra-CISC MicroVAX II.  Bet your Pentium
> > II 300MHz can't crank out 0.9 VUPS like this baby can!  RISC is passe,
> > Ultra-CISC is where it's at man."

> *chuckle*  You'd be hard pressed to _find_ someone that owned a PII/300
> that even new what a VUP was...  Which if memory serves, 1 VUP is the
> equivalent to an 11/780, right? *grin*

Yes, the 11/780 is the unit measure by which all of the vast VAX universe
is metered.  Trivia for newbies: A VUP is a VAX Unix of Processing Power*
(I guess the power is silent), so technically/semantically/whatever
nothing but a VAX can truly be rated in VUPS.

-brian.

* VUP also happens to be the noise that burning green plastic army guys
make when firey drips of liquid plastic fall from them towards the ground.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --