Subject: Re: Vax up and running!
To: Jacob Suter <jsuter@moon.intrastar.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/13/1997 15:28:27
On October 13, you wrote:
> HOORAY!  I finally got this thing running...

  Good news!

> So far so good...  sitting at a single user prompt fixing to label and
> newfs the hard drives up to run...  I've found this unit only has 16mb ram
> (bummer) but I am sure one of the other three VS3100s here have more...

  Just to put your mind at ease here...16mb on a VAX processor is very
reasonable...The VAX is a highly-CISC machine, and as such, it's very
memory-efficient.  I've found that, under normal operating conditions,
16mb on a VAX acts more like 24mb or maybe even 32mb on a SPARC or
other common RISC processor.  For normal applications, 16mb should be
quite reasonable.  More is, of course, always better, but you
shouldn't feel pain without it. :-)

> Well, I'm off to learn vi (or compile jove or pico - yes I am a lamer) :)

  Ach...Use emacs, man!  It's even got a new command..."M-x improve-sex-life".
How can a guy go wrong?

> PS - Its 12-31-1969 according to this vax... hmm... its a good time to be
> alive...  Pass the bong...

  Hey!  I was 9 months old!  Where's that bong?

               -Dave McGuire
                mcguire@neurotica.com