Subject: Some vs2000 problems...
To: 'NetBSD/VAX list' <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/09/1997 20:06:40
I'm having some problems with my VAXstation 2000. NetBSD/vax 1.2G.
First I set it up diskless (I wanted to keep the VMS installation on the
RD54 disk. I know, I know... ;-). I had to give this up as NetBSD
invariably froze after a day or two of uptime (I was using a 486 PC
running NetBSD/i386 as boot server). So I hosed VMS and installed NetBSD
on the disk. This is very stable but I still have some problems.

First, boot complains about the symbols in the kernel (see below). Why?
What can I do about it? The boot I'm using was found on Ragge's ftp
server (ftp.luth.se) in the directory /pub/NetBSD/vaxport/boot. I didn't
use the one in the miniroot as I never installed the miniroot. I simply
mopbooted the machine, NFS-mounted the distribution and then installed
the binaries. I found a generic kernel but soon built my own from
-current sources (see below). I couldn't find the sources for boot to
build my own. The disklabel and bootblocks were installed using the
disklabel program while the machine was mopbooted using the same version
and date binaries as were subsequently installed on the disk.

Boot messages:

-DUA0

howto 0x2, bdev 0x24, booting...done. (31156+22252)

Nboot
: /netbsd
667648+33792+75384 start 0x981cc
[ netbsd symbol table not valid ]
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.2G (HYBELVAX) #0: Sun Aug 30 13:36:22 CET 1970
    root@hybelvax.bitcon.no:/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/HYBELVAX

realmem = 6160384
avail mem = 3598336
Using 300 buffers containing 307200 bytes of memory.
backplane0 (root)
cpu0 at backplane0: VAXstation 2000

This output shows the other problem I'm having: The time. Er, I mean the
year. Every time I boot the machine (even after a warmboot) it thinks
it's back in 1970. If I try to change the time (using date(1) or
ntpdate(8)) in multiuser mode the machine hangs completely. I have to
boot the machine into singleuser, set the time using date(1) and then
continue to boot into multiuser. xntpd(8) then keeps the time without
problems until the next reboot.

What's happening here? I would imagine that even if the machine's
internal battery clock is flat NetBSD should be able to read the correct
time from the clock if the machine has not been turned off since the
date was last set? Or doesn't the date(1) command set the internal
clock?

When I booted VMS it usually prompted for the time if the machine had
been power-cycled but read the time correctly from the internal clock if
not. Or maybe my memory is failing me again...? ;-) Anyone else had this
problem with a vs2000?

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2