Subject: Re: blinking tk50 -> dead??
To: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/03/1997 13:22:28
What are good drives for the VS3100/30?  I've got four sitting here with
drives ready to roll, but no CDROM support (I got OpenVMS 7.1 sitting
here on the original CDs) as of so far from either a Plextor 6x or a
Plextor CD-R drive (4xR/2xW), I also tried a JVC CD-R and it did nothing
also.

I'm going to attempt netbooting as soon as I get some more ethernet
cards to set up a 10base2 line in here, (with four VS3100's, I
trancievers are like $80 for the set, or I use existing wiring, don't
fill up my hub, and get them set up good on the old coax
crap^H^H^H^Hstuff) but haven't had the cash or time to order a few
cheapie cards..

But, I'm sure I can find an old CDROM to make these things GO with
something at a swap meet, I just never figured CDROM booting would work,
since the results I got with many drives...  What drive(s) will work?

Also, I notice the internal cables in my VS'es have only a single
connector to what appears to be a VERY proprietary plug on the SCSI card
side (this is the dual controller with single external chain) - can it
take more than one drive per chain internal?

Thanks
Jacob Suter
Intrastellar Internet Service
Vax Newbie on the Loose, pheer.