Subject: RE: blinking tk50 -> dead??
To: 'Karl Maftoum' <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
From: Paul Evans <paule@martex.gen.oh.us>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/03/1997 02:53:33
-----Original Message-----
From:	Karl Maftoum [SMTP:k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au]
Sent:	Friday, October 03, 1997 12:38 AM
To:	David Bobart
Cc:	J. Buck Caldwell; port-vax@NetBSD.ORG
Subject:	Re: blinking tk50 -> dead??

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, David Bobart wrote:

> Thanks, I actually looked inside and compared what I found to the diagram I
> have and it looked fine. I will have to take it apart to see if thats
> actually the case. Anyone know when booting from CDRom was first supported
> in VAX firmware? I have a 3100/30 and it can't boot from CDRom it seems.
> Also, anyone seen any good deals on Qbus SCSI controllers. The Al's attic
> website mentioned previously on the list wants several hundred dollars for
> this hardware.

My 3100/30 boots happily from a CDROM, i'd say the problem is with the
CDROM itself, what kind of CDROM is it? VAXen get very upset if the CDROM
does not default to a block size of 512 bytes, i eventually gave up and
got a RRD40 :)
<chop>

If this is the problem, Sun's have the same problem. There's a
Few toshiba drives around that can be modfied to do this, as
Well as some apple ones.

You can find details in one of the comp.*sun*hardware faq's (look on sunsite.unc.edu)

** this might also be a good FAQ addition

	-Paul
	paule@martex.gen.oh.us	pevans@cleindians.com