Subject: Re: boot image for VS3100-M76 (KA43)...
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/30/1997 17:23:55
> > Can you boot from TK50 tape or is netbooting the only method suppor=
ted for
> > the 3100 M38?
> >=20
> AFAIK netbooting is so far the only alternative, but it can happen th=
at
> booting from SCSI TK50 also work. I do know for sure that booting fro=
> 3=BD" floppy do not work.

Just for interest: What doesn't work? Why doesn't it work?

On my box I've no SCSI devices besides the internal disk, thus I never
could try that. But I always thought that it should work without proble=
ms,
since the bootblocks are rather machine-independant and device-i/o is d=
one=20
by the machine's ROM routines.

Or is it just a problem of the number of the boot-device which is not
supported by current bootblocks? Do SCSI-floppy and SCSI-disk use the
same BOOTDEV number?

Ciao,
=09bertram