Subject: Re: newfs: device not configured? (3100 scsi)
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/29/1997 13:02:11
On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 12:41:40PM -0400, maximum entropy wrote:

> Change fstype from "unused" to "4.2BSD" and newfs should work.

Thanks!  That did it.  I was able to build a filesystem.  I can't mount
anything yet, as I think Solaris has a screwed-up NFS implementation that is
confusing NetBSD.  (What a surprise.)  But I can access the disk just fine
now.

> >cylinders: 1818
> >total sectors: 479350
> >  c:   479350        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 1843*)

I hadn't noticed that.  Oddly enough, the "c" partition seemed to have been
created automatically: it existed when I installed the disk, and the disk
was an Apple factory-installed drive which I just removed from the original
machine, so it shouldn't have been pre-labelled.  I'll just fix it by hand.

Thanks for your help!

- Tom

--
Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA