Subject: Re: Am I on the right Track ?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/11/1997 08:44:43
>From: "P.D.Helliwell" <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
>On 8 Sep 1997, Bruce Lane wrote:
[...]
>> >I have the putr program and am trying to find some 1.2M floppys to boot
>> >NetBSD from the RX50.  Am I on the right track as far as hardware is
>> >concerned, in the end I would like to use the machine as a mailing list
>> >server but maybe I could learn something about vaxen in the mean time :-)
>>
>> 	I'm still learning myself, but that sounds kinda right. Don't know if you
>> can write a boot block with PUTR...
>>
>Hmm, I'll have a go.

PUTR can write boot blocks just fine, just use COPY/FILE/DEV filename B:
(after FORMAT B: /FOREIGN /RX50 and MOUNT B: /FOREIGN /RX50 commands) and it
writes the boot block along with the rest of the disk.  However you should not
use 1.2 MB disks as RX50s (even though it's a 1.2 MB drive), they're not
designed for the DD data rate and are not reliable, you should use 360 KB
disks instead.  They're getting hard to find, but our local Office Max still
stocks them (way down on the bottom shelf).  And of course real RX50Ks are
still available from 1-800-DIGITAL if you don't mind paying $10/box.

John Wilson
D Bit