Subject: Re: Am I on the right Track ?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin2@wizards.net>
From: P.D.Helliwell <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/11/1997 08:39:00
Hi There.

Many many thanks to all who replied, it has been a great help and I now
feel that I am a lot closer.

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Bruce Lane wrote:

> At 14:12 08-09-97 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >putting NetBSD/vax on it.  I've done a few things and have got it to talk
> >to the other VAX (while running VMS).  Anyway, it's a MicroVAX II with three
> >RD54 and one RD53 disks, a DEQNA ethernet card, an RX50 and eight serial
> >ports, 16Mb Ram, oh and it's in the big case with the wheels on the bottom.
>
> 	That would be the BA123 enclosure, yes...

Thank you...

> >Can uVAX have four hard disks running at the same time as well as an RX50 ?
>
> 	They can, IF you have two RQDX3 controllers. They can handle four drives
> each, and if you have two hard drives and one RX50, you've maxed it out
> 'cause it sees the RX50 as two drives.

OK, thanks.  Now I *have* two RQDX3 controllers.  I haven't switched the
machine on just yet as I thought that I should check with someone about
where they should go.  One was a "half card" in the top of Q6 slot.  Am I
right in putting the second one in the bottom half of that slot (Q6)?
Following that I am assuming that the original RQDX3 is OK as it has
almost the same as it did before (RX50 and two hard disks).  Should the
second two disks go in the top or bottom part of the 'distributer' card
(is that right?, the bit where the drives plug into).

I got the vax with no documents or anything.  I had a look and found some
things but they were for our old 11/750 and I found plenty of VAX C
things.  I've found some info by looking on the web and places like that
but having never come accross vaxen before I think it'll take a while to
get used to.  Anyway, it seems like it's worth it as I like messing with
things like that.  A *nix on a VAX would be great :*)

> >I have the putr program and am trying to find some 1.2M floppys to boot
> >NetBSD from the RX50.  Am I on the right track as far as hardware is
> >concerned, in the end I would like to use the machine as a mailing list
> >server but maybe I could learn something about vaxen in the mean time :-)
>
> 	I'm still learning myself, but that sounds kinda right. Don't know if you
> can write a boot block with PUTR...

Hmm, I'll have a go.

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Bruce Lane, Sysop,  The Dragon's Cave BBS (Fidonet 1:343/272)
> (Hamateur: WD6EOS) (E-mail: kyrrin2@wizards.net)
> http://www.wizards.net/technoid
> "Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
> human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."

Many thanks.

Phil

|o| Phil Helliwell                Dogs do           O  |o|
|o| Electronic Eng.              *NOT* like        /|\ |o|
|o| University of Hull,UK        unicyclists.      <<  |o|
|o| My views are my own :*)                         0  |o|