Subject: Re: RL02 (was Questions about 'BOOT')
To: James Willing <jimw@agora.rdrop.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/21/1997 19:46:24
> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
> > > Also... (while I'm here) is there support in the current system for RL02
> > > drives on the RLV-21 (? Std. DEC RL controller, 22 bit ver.) controller?
> > >
> > No, and there will probably never be if not someone that has a ctlr
> > is willing to write a device driver. And I don't think there are so many
> > that has it, the drives can carry 10MB and is HEAVY. :-)
> >
> > The RL02 support for console media on 86X0 works, though.
>
> Interesting...  Since the RL02 drives were supported on BSD 4.X and
> earlier for as long as I can remember.  I would think that at least from a
> historical standpoint it would be useful as I still see a lot of folks
> with stuff on RL packs that they would like to be able to access.

Maybe, but the device driver was tainted with AT&T code and did never
do its way into 4.4BSD Lite anyway. That's the problem...
*If* the driver source had been available in the 4.4 Lite sources it would
have been trivial to make it work in NetBSD.

> Mayhaps I'll have to dredge the RL drivers out of the 4.4 sources... (and
> the drives are not *that* heavy...  B^}  )

Depends what you compare with. If you play with RP06 disks then RL02
is a small and easy disk sybsystem :-)

-- Ragge