Subject: Questions about 'BOOT'
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Willing <jimw@agora.rdrop.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/21/1997 09:08:27
As there seems to be some implication of an 'oddity' in the 1.2x boot
code, I've got a question (or two)...

I've been trying to get 1.2C loaded up on my MicroVAX II with an RA-81
drive on the standard DEC controller.  EDLABEL and COPY seem to go fine,
but when I go back to boot the miniroot ( "ra(0,1)netbsd" )the system
always returns "no such file or directory" (or something very similar).

There seems to be some anomalys in the docs and FAQ as to just what the
name of the kernel is (I recall seeing "netbsd", "netbsd.GENERIC",
"gennetbsd", and various others) so admittedly I may be off there, but I
think I've tried just about *all* of the permutations I can think of with
no success.

*help*?!?  Am I missing something *really* obvious here, or is there
something wonky in the 1.2x boot code? (as some messages have seemed to
imply)

I don't think I can be that terminally dim on this, as I do have 1.1a
running on my MicroVAX II/GPX system...  (sigh)

Also... (while I'm here) is there support in the current system for RL02
drives on the RLV-21 (? Std. DEC RL controller, 22 bit ver.) controller?

Thanks!
-jim
---
jimw@agora.rdrop.com