Subject: RE: Network install on VS2000
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/1997 15:55:04

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Dan Gardner wrote:

> Apologies for the newbie question, but no mention of this in the FAQ.

My HOWTO doesn't make direct mention of support of VS2000's but I believe
the NetBSD/VAX kernels I refer to in it do include support for VS2000.
(Well maybe).

Also, I don't cover how to load the OS onto local drives. The HOWTO is
geared towards network booting your VAXstation and relying on an NFS
mounted root filesystem.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too much more difficult
to turn your RD54 into a bootable drive once you've got NetBSD running as
if it were a diskless workstation.

A NetBSD friendly MOP server is available at:
ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OS/NetBSD/mopd/mopd-2.5.3.tar.gz

I don't know if it will work under SunOS/Solaris though.  If you've got
any spare PCs lying around and are familliar with Linux, you can try
running the Linux port of that same MOP server: mopd-linux-2.5.3.tar.gz
in the same directory of the FTP server.

---

In semi-related news for others on the mailing list.  I've scrounged up
enough pieces for a spare PC to run OpenBSD on.  I'll work on getting
OpenBSD installed over the weekend and hopefully the BSD boot server
section of the HOWTO will follow shortly.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --