Subject: Re: hobbyist VMS licenses
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/1997 08:41:50
Dave,

Could you tell me what version you are using and from what site you down
loaded NetBSD from, PLEASE?   I would like to have a copy to run on my KA340
and 350 that would load up, run and of course work.  BTW don't tell me it's
the copies on the NetBSD.org site (1.2, snapshot or current) because not one
of those copies have worked for me on any of the following machines:

        1. uVAX 3600 (stock)
        2. uVAX 3600 (24 meg only, two ethernet ports)
        3. uVAX II (stock)
        4. VAX 11/785 (upgrade memory, other wise stock)

All these machines are checked out and run other software (Ultrix, VMS),  I
assumed that all this pointed to me using a bad proceedure in loading,  so I
have had a local unix guru give it a try on the 3600 here and his VAX
station and he comes up with the same responces I do (many problems, I will
not go into here, if you are really interested read the old postings over
the last 4 months).  I have used the old 1.1a copy from your site and to
date it is the only one that we have been able to get to work so if you have
a more recent copy running and up for grabs somewhere please let us know!

Thanks,

Rick Copeland
IS Manager
Intermag, Inc.

At 01:59 AM 5/20/97 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>On May 19, you wrote:
>> >  You gotta be serious! Who inhaled?
>>
>> I really hope that this is true.  The instability of NetBSD/vax has
>> practically caused me to give up on VAXen.  The multitasking performance
>> is great but it is about as stable as Windows when multitasking.
>
>  Instability?  Talking about inhaling...I beat the shit out of a
>KA640-based machine here and it holds up just fine.
>

>                    -Dave McGuire
>                     mcguire@neurotica.com

Rick Copeland