Subject: Re: Identify this MicroVAX II:
To: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
From: Stig Venaas <venaas@nvg.ntnu.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/26/1997 00:13:53
> The fact that a BA23 has only one power supply was the reason
> for the KDA50 never being officially supported by DEC in this box.
> (There is a dual-BA23 configuration that supports the KDA50, but
> the BA23 with the KDA50 isn't supposed to have much else in the
> way of power-hungry cards in it.  A sure way to smoke the power wiring
> harness in a BA23 is to put a KDA50 in it along with a bunch of
> other cards!)

I've used a KDA50 in a BA23 once, luckily I didn't smoke anything.

> There's also a BA213 (skunk box) cabinet, though you're far likelier
> to see a KA650 or KA655 ("Microvax III") in one of these than you
> are to find a KA630 (Microvax II) in one.

We put a KA630 inside one of our BA213s once.

If you like some pictures, you can look at the following links:

At http://www.nvg.unit.no/nvg/maskinpark/swix.html you will find a
BA123 which now has a KA650.

At http://www.nvg.unit.no/nvg/maskinpark/flode.html you can see a rack
with a BA213 inside, and a RA82 disk on top. The RA82 is connected to
a KDA50 controller. To the right of that one is another disk rack. On
the far left behind the monitor, is a strange one. It's a box from MTI
which has two ESDI disks inside. They are striped together, and the
computer thinks it's an RA disk.

At the bottom of http://www.nvg.unit.no/nvg/maskinpark/maskinvare.html
is another picture. The one closest is a VAX-Station 3520 in a BA213
enclosure. In the background you can see a BA123 and two BA23s.

Sorry about the Norwegian language on these pages. At least you can
look at the pictures.

Stig