Subject: Re: non-NetBSD question: PDP-11
To: Jonathan D. Sturges <jonathan@usgcc.odu.edu>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/24/1997 22:34:12
At 05:51 PM 4/24/97 -0400, Jonathan D. Sturges wrote:
>Anyway, I've got a PDP-11 that our physics departement still uses (!) for
>controlling some piece of equipment.  At any rate, they're phasing out
>the PDP-11 to replace it with a PC.  But, they have data they need to
>take from the PDP-11 to the PC.  PDP-11 floppy disks are the mode of
>transport.  :-(

Those should be RX33s and 1.44MB floppies (PC compatibles).

>Now, I'm not the one directly involved in this project.  But the fellow
>who is tells me they've got a PC-style half-height floppy in this
>PDP-11.  (I guess, to be technical, it's a MicroPDP-11; it's in a BA23
>case).  So what are my chances of reading these floppies on the PC?  I
>really don't know what format the floppies are in.  It seems to be
>running an OS called RSX11M?
>
>Can someone offer me a way to read these floppies?  If the RX50 was
>supported in NetBSD, I might be able to read the disks on my
>MicroVAX-II?  But it looks like a PC that can read the disks long enough
>to get these files off is the way to go.

I assume NetBSD/vax still has arff (which read and writes floppies in
RT11 format).  It's needed for the 11/780 and the 8650.  Under RSX you
can use FLX to create RT11 format floppies.  So you now have a common
interchange format.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message