Subject: Re: VS 3100-M38 boot: le linklevel address damaged
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/1997 17:49:37
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > After replacing the serial terminal (yes it worked a few days before),
> > I managed to watch the VS3100 M38 boot into NetBSD.
> >

> This is extremely strange. I haven't been able at all to mopboot
> my VS3100/38. Very strange!

FYI.  A friend and myself got a VAXstation 3100 (VS42A-BW) net booted over
the past weekend using Bertram's files. NetBSD booted without any problems
until it tried to look for a root filesystem.

> > cpu0 at backplane0: Microvax 3100 (KA41)
> > ###note that the ROM claims its a KA42-B V1.5###

> Your rom is correct, but because I haven't been able to boot any
> kernel there aren't any support for KA42 yet. It runs as KA41.

Could you tell me which ROM versions are supported? (I'm assuming this is
relevant).  The one we got booted was V1.6, but my now dead 3100/38 had
V1.3 -- never got a chance to boot it.  I did a quick grep of the port-vax
archives, but didn't see anything.  If the supported ROM info is in there,
let me know and I'll grep harder.

> > le0 at vsbus0: address 00:00:00:00:08:00

I've seen this too. I know you said that you've fixed the code for the bug
but I don't have a way to compile a kernel for myself (yet). Anybody have
a ready image with the modifications Ragge made yesterday?  Bertram?

The MOP boot worked perfect.  Once the kernel booted I got the message
with the hardware ethernet as 00:00:00:00:08:00.  I'm guessing that this
is what's causing my difficulties in getting a root filesystem NFS mounted
-- at least if the kernel is actually using 00:00:00:00:08:00 as the
hardware ethernet address.

I believe my `bootparamd' server is configured properly, but I hadn't had
any experience with that particular program until this past weekend... so
I'm not ruling out the possibility that I've done something bone-headed in
configuring it.

-brian.