Subject: Re: Dead Serial on VS-2000
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/17/1997 06:55:53
Kevin Williams wrote:

> Hello guys... me AGAIN!!
>
> I have come to the conclusion that my VS-2000 has a dead serial port...
>
> It WILL NOT communicate with any comm. programs I have tried to plug it into, Windows, DOS, or LINUX..
>
> Is there any way I can plug a terminal into a different port, I read a message somewhere about the
> fact that the VS-2000 actually has 4 serial ports. Or is there anyway I can get BSD set up far enough
> to give the machine an IP address and telnet to it for the rest using the 4-plane graphics board and
> that big ass 20" monitor?

I think that the easiest way to fix this would probably be to swap in
another KA410.  You should be able to get that for cheap/free.  If you
don't have and can't get another KA410, then there are still a few
options available.

If you have the equipment and know-how you could find the fault.  When a
serial port goes it's almost always the interface chip that fails due to
some voltage spike.

Another thing to try would be to borrow another VS2000, put the hard
drive in, do the install at least to the point where you can telnet in
and then put the hard drive back.  However, you'll be running with no
console, which is kind of bad.

I have read that NetBSD supports the other serial ports, so it should be
possible (at least in theory) to modify the kernel and use one of those
as the console.

Of course, you could just do nothing and wait for NetBSD to support your
graphics card.  :-)

Anyways, I hope some of this helps.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |