Subject: Re: Diskless booting MV-II
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/1997 22:48:39
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, VAX mailing list wrote:

> If I got hold of a CD with NetBSD, could I mount that on, say, a Linux box
> and set the Linux box up as a remote NFS boot server, then remote boot the
> VAX off the Linux box.  Can I do this without a disk on the VAX?

Yes, you should be able to. I'm not familiar with the MVII, but I
know that a uVAX 2000/VAXStation 2000 net boots just fine.

It can be done from Linux, but Linux users generally seem to have
a lot of problems getting all the right programs compiled and
working.  to do.

At any rate, the first step is to get and compile mopd
<ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OS/NetBSD/mopd>, so you can boot the
machine with MOP. The MOP boot file itself is
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org//pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/boot.mopformat>.

Once this is run, the boot follows the diskless(8) manual page.
This is dead easy if you've got another NetBSD system, but if you
don't your best bet might be to get the Linux port of the Xkernel
package, which has all the tools for booting SunOS, which boots
exactly the same way.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'