Subject: Re: Stability of NetBSD/VAX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/11/1997 14:55:04
> > I'm just wondering how stable is NetBSD/VAX supposed to be.  I've had
> > some unexplained and bad things happen on my two VAXstation 2000s.
> > First of all, it seems that if junk (eg. a binary file, accidentally) is
> > sent through the console port there is almost always a crash.  The
> > VS2000 sometimes even reboots but then doesn't work right until power
> > cycled.  I've also had panics due to filesystem errors such as corrupt
> > directories.  This was just some filesystem on /mnt.  I've also just had
> > fsck on boot crash the system repetedly until I booted into single user
> > mode and fsck completed without finding errors.  Is this normal or is
> > something wrong here?  Should things be better on a MicroVAX II?
> >
> The stability of the VS2000 port isn't good; at least if you are
> doing heavy disk I/O to MFM disks. I think that it may work function
> better if you have a SCSI drive connected. A MicroVAX II with
> error-free RA disks on KDA50 and DELQA are a much better choice.
> The only configurations I have tried heavily are 11/780 and 8600,
> and they are OK for production use.

For what it's worth, I had a MicroVAX II which was absolutely stable
while running 1.1A (modulo some minor network troubles), this week i
added a second disk and tried to install -current (ie. 1.2D) to this
disk. It works somehow, but it behaves real strange when booted from
this disk; I run out of memory real soon and the machine is just dead,
If running `vmstat` in parallel one can see that free mem goes down
to zero (usually without using swap) and the system never recovers
from that. This happens with much less load than 1.1A could handle...

Anyway, there are problems directly related to the VS2000 drivers, there
are problems with HW on VS2000 (bad block handling comes to mind) and
IMHO there are also problems within -current which are not vax-related.
Thus i think it's real difficult to find one single reason for these
problems...

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: the above mentioned problem with VS2000 not working properly after
    crashes until reboot is IMHO related to the fact that reserved
    memory areas are clobbered (console scratch ram, etc). With the
    new memory-counting ragge implemented these problems disappear.