Subject: Out of memory
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/03/1997 18:46:34
Hello group,

I am going through the make process and I get to a point and the following
message:

# make
===> lib
===> lib/csu
===> lib/csu/vax
===> lib/csu/c++
===> lib/libarch
===> lib/libc
make: Cannot allocate memory.
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
# exit

I get the same results when I do a make build.   In fact this is where it
started.   I had just previously did a plain make as you see above.  Then,
feeling more confident that all the files were in order, decided to start
over totally clean and do it "by the book".  Ever since the make depend was
done I get this problem of 'make: Cannot allocate memory.'

Since I am running totally clean, is it reasonable to eliminate the make
depend step?  Also, how is it that nobody else seems to have this problem.
It seems rather fundamental.  This Vax has 24 MB of ram and I am running the
make that comes with the 1.2 distribution.

Bertram:  The make was the problem in why I could not do a top level make.
with this make, now I can.

Regards

Andy Sporner

P.S.  Somebody really needs to fix the prototypes in src/lib/libc/yp/xdryp.c.c
as it applies to argument 2 of xdr_u_int().  It really needs to be casted to
(u_int *) otherwise the library build fails.  I verified the types in the
various modules and it matches.  I don't understand why the compiler is
complaining, but this will shut it up.  The changes I made are all usages
of this function at and after line 256.  The first two usages alredy have
the cast, so if nothing else, it will make the module consistant.