Subject: Re: console support for vaxstation 2000
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/1997 12:20:39

> 	Sadly, no news. I'm currently wrestling with what appears to be a
> dying RD54 on my VS2000, and therefore have made no progress. I guess we
> should run this one up the flagpole, and see who salutes :-) How about it
> folks? Anybody interested in working on this, since I have not managed to
> make any progress in the last year? It should be easier now, with the 1.2
> release, and the cleaned-up machine-specific code.
> |   Mike Young     young@purdue.edu     Purdue University ECE Dept.     |
> |   W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1285    http://dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu/~young/ |

While this would be a coding job out of my range <that and the lack of info
on the vs2000> I'll make a suggestion.

The vs2000 console has two modes, one is a crippled terminal (tty?) and the
other is full graphics.  It would make some sense to get the basic console
support up to base vt100/200 level and use that as a bootstrap to x-windows
support.  The terminal code would be far less aggressive a project and minor
bugs in the emulation would still have it useful.

Allison