Subject: Re: mop booting of vs2000
To: Stephen PEARCE <spearce@ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
From: Maftoum / Karl Joseph (ISE) <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1997 17:09:10
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Stephen PEARCE wrote:

> Hi...
> 	The recent comments on the group about booting
> the vs2000 using mop sounds encouraging.
>
> 	Unfortunately I've only got the one dec box .. the
> vs2000 ... I have acquired mopd for linux and compiled it ..
> but don't know if / and / or how I can use this to boot the vs2000
>
> 	I wonder if someone would be kind enough to explicitly
> describe the process of making mopd on a linux box available to
> allow the vs2000 to boot ... and then how /and what images to have
> on the linu box. Mopd seemed to come with v. little documentation
> so I am having difficulty fitting it into my schema for
> networks. I have an 8 bit ne3 card in the linux box ..and
> a thin wire connection which I can easily hook up to the vax box.

np :-) I assume you have networking drivers etc compiled and running in
your linux kernel. Let me know if you need to know how to do this.

Then compile mopd. Create a directory /tftpboot/mop/ and copy the file
NETTEST.SYS there. (available from where you got mopd if not let me know
and I'll send you a copy)

Then run "mopd -d -a" (debug mode) and at the >>> prompt type "B /100
esa0" when it asks for a filename enter nettest (in lowercase letters)...

This should then start the nettest program. If this works correctly you
should be able to boot just about anything..

Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering Student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au