Subject: How to Add Third Disk Controller???
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1997 13:44:44
Hi All:

This is in followup to my message of two days ago. I rebuilt a proper
kernel but am still haveing the same problem:

I want to add a third disk controller to my kernel.

I modified GENERIC, adding uda2, and four drives ra8, 9, 10, and 11
in the config file under the uda2 definition. My CSR for uda2 is
160340. This is a free CSR and works fine with my firmware
diagnostics.

I did a proper make depend; make, and then copied the new kernel to
/.

When I boot the machine it probes the devices, finds uda2 and my
attached drive, alothough it complains about "no disk label, no
partition table". The probe completes.

As I should be seeing "chaning root device to ra0a" it bombs out to
the debugger with "trap type 2 code 0 psl 8" and a reg dump.

If I boot interactively I get same dump before prompted for "root
device?".

NOTE: Removing the uda2 controller from the machine and putting
continuity card in its place still generates same behaviour, same
addresses, trap etc. No difference.

So, how can I add a third disk controller to the kernel?

I have a feeling that I may have exceeded the size of some internal
data structure, perhaps for > 2 controllers I have to increase it.

I can still boot old kernel with B/1, but this is driving me nuts!!
Any suggestions to rescue me back to sanity????

Kevin

--
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD
mcquiggi@sfu.ca